Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The same side

       I recently received my first external comment on a post I had written.  It was critical.  The only surprise is that it took this long.  The person "called me out" as someone who sounded like they have never had to struggle.  This is funny.  We used to hang out at a buddy's house, as kids, because his family, on public aid, could afford to run their air conditioner while we, supported by work, could not.
       Rather than launch into a post critical of those on public aid, I will use this space to target the true villains.  I am referring, of course to our public officials.  Not because they have allowed this to happen; (I feel a society that can take care of its needy is truly enlightened) but because they have mismanaged the rest of my tax dollars to the point of causing problems for everyone.
       See the whole link card program makes up a very small portion of an otherwise bloated budget.  And really, putting a better class of food in a child's mouth is not a sin.  But because it is yet another wasteful cog in the refuse generator that is Illinois government, I took undue notice.
       It isn't fair to single out this program, which at least benefits some people who need it, when our state loses more each to; questionable accounting practices, corruption, entitlement, patronage, and insider deals.
       I guess what I'm getting at, is that I fell into the trap the bastards set for me.  I started to blame other taxpayers, as though we are actually on different sides, rather than attack the corrupt system, run by corrupt politicians, who have gamed all of us into thinking we need to fight each other; rather than fight the source of our problems.  In short, if the rest of my redistributed "wealth" were being stewarded properly, I would never have given a thought to the link card being accepted by Market Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and well thought out.