Friday, March 30, 2012

Supreme Court and the Affordable Care Act.

       No doubt all of you who read this regularly (Both of you) have been waiting for my snarky, philosophmoric ramblings on the topic.  Today is your lucky day.  See, I can feel my back locking up again and since the muscle relaxer I was prescribed made me break out in hives, I am using the same one Grampa did: Rye whiskey.  (Well, some kind of whiskey).  The two effects this course of treatment have are relaxation, and an even greater degree of apathy about whether you want my opinion, or not.
       I will not go into the politics of this issue.  I don't need to.  The Supreme Court is currently deciding if the individual mandate is within the scope of powers of the Congress, to make law.  The implications of this ruling stand to change more than just the law most of you refer to as "Obamacare".  This decision could knock the legs out of many long standing federal programs.
       The indications are that the votes will be split along party lines.  There are currently five Republican-appointed justices, and four Democrat-appointed ones.  This is what makes me sad, angry, frustrated, and pitchfork-grabby.  If they are deciding a matter of constitutionality, party affiliation should not matter at all.  This is true for all decisions they face, and true regardless of their, or anyone else's party affiliation.  And yet, here we are, staring down a court that, despite being sworn to uphold the Constitution, gives no indication this is even a consideration.
       In short: the two-party system had corrupted the highest court in the land.  That is really all I can say on this without being seen as taking sides.  Although if I were to make a statement on this topic, it would be this:  A federal healthcare program is an all-or-nothing proposition.  What we have is severely "semicolon-ing" (half-a$$-ing) the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and well thought out.