Thursday, November 17, 2011

The growing list of reasons I will never again buy anything made by GM

       My love affair with Buick came when a buddy sold me his '69 LeSabre.  Wrap around bumpers, six and a half feet wide, ugly dead GM green paint.  It had been in an accident and had a side dent as a result.  The windshield was cracked, it smelled like mold and exhaust inside.  That was because the exhaust manifold was also cracked.  The hood needed to have deck pins installed because the current latch, a bungee cord, was worn out.  The engine, I found out after trying, unsuccessfully, to replace the thermostat, was from a '73 Century.  If you want to see it, it looked a lot like the car in "My Hooptie" by Sir Mix-a-lot.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKF0o42F7yw)   The rear end looked different on the LeSabre, that one is an Electra.  I loved that hunk of crap.
       When it came time to but my first new car I wanted another Buick.  The one I could afford was a Skylark, '95.  It ran well but certain things were off kilter.  I had to explain to my, then girlfriend-now wife, that the brake trouble light was nothing to worry about.  It went off all the time in wet weather, just turn off the car and restart and it went away.  Also the GM belt noise.  I see some of you nodding your heads.  The thing that bothered me most though came one mid-January day when I had to change a headlamp.
       I went to the local auto parts store, I always went to Murray's back then, and matched up my new headlamp from the computer.  "Oh good" I thought looking at it in the shiny new blister pack, "it's a twist out, five minutes and done."  I see some of you laughing.  Yeah, I found out that day.  See in order to get to the twist out, easy to replace lamp, you needed to remove the battery on one side, or the radiator overflow tank on the other.  So I needed a socket set.  And I froze my sorry butt off because it took about half an hour.
       Years later I owned a GM Sonoma, but was expecting my first child.  My wife did not like the idea of no back seat, so I was looking for a new car.  My brother was working at a dealership at the time and scored me a low mileage trade-in from a retired reporter who lived nearby.  10,000 miles, 10,000 dollars.  Three year old car.  Power everything, and I mean everything.  The passenger seat is six way power adjustable.  I was glad because my last Buick was trouble free for many years except for that idiot headlight.  Surely they had corrected such an egregious oversight in the last six years.  Also the LeSabre is a much larger car, surely they didn't need to compact the components so tightly.
       Tonight I noticed a headlamp out.  Wait for it.  I again got the new one from the store, then attempted to install it in the parking lot.  Twist out, unplug, plug in new, twist in.  Five minutes.  NOPE!  This time they made it so you have to take out the headlamp assembly just to access the lamps.  Please excuse the following caps lock.  HEY GM!  THE ENTIRE POINT OF TWIST OUT COMPONENTS IS QUICK REPLACEMENT!
       Also there is the whole government bailout, and you jerks at GM owe every single American Citizen a free frickin' car of their choice.  But that is another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and well thought out.