Sunday, September 18, 2011

Office how to. Or: have some damned Post-it notes.

       You do not have a receptionist.  You do not have a secretary.  You have an office, or a cube, a telephone and a computer.  Maybe not a computer.  Not everyone has their own on their desk.  What you do not have is Post-it notes.  Or a notepad.  Or a pen cup.  Or tape.
       You need these things.  They are not for you.  Say, for example, I have just found out something important that you need to know.  I pop in to your office, but there you aren't.  No problem, I'll just leave a note and... Damn.  Where is does this fool keep their notepad.  It's OK, I have a receipt in my pocket.  I'll just borrow a pen and... no pens either.  Sheesh.  How does this chump get any work done.  Let's see, what do we have on this desk.  Dried up highlighter, coffee ring, crumbs, empty stapler, stack of outdated paperwork.
       Not really presenting a good face there are we.  Also, you just missed being told about the mandatory event that there will not be a memo, or an email for.  See now I walk back to what I was doing, likely forgetting about the important thing.  Even if I remember to send an e-mail when I get back to my computer I wont do it.  I'll just claim I forgot.
       Now lets play that out the other way.  The CEO walks in and you are out.  They quickly identify which desk is yours because it has a business card holder on it.  Maybe they take one.  Feeling a need to "touch bases" with you for a big project, they reach for your pen holder, remove one (you never put the bad ones back in), and write a quick note on your stack of Post-its.  It is important so they stick it to your monitor.  (or phone).  You have now made a good impression without even being there.
       Or it could have unfolded differently.  Same CEO, same need to leave a message.  They have to hunt for clues as to which desk is yours.  They then need to go through your drawers to find paper and pens... and anything else you keep there.  Nothing unprofessional I hope.  No movies, no risque photos, no want ads... not in your desk.  Of course not.
       I'm not saying to have an immaculate desk.  Just place certain things where they can be easily found.  You are not the only person who might need them.  You just might benefit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and well thought out.