Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Short Christmas Missive

       We all have better things to do so I will keep this short.  In business there is a practice called "root cause analysis" that is used to find the source of a problem.  Its the equivalent of asking someone you are dating, "What's really bothering you."  (Married people have learned to be more obtuse)  Root cause analysis is useful in real life.  Like next time you ask yourself: "Why do I have so much garbage?"
       Start with buying habits.  You buy things.  regardless of how much or how little you end up with more garbage than you should.  So then turn to the manufacturers.  Most of their superfluous packaging is to prevent theft.  Avoidable by other methods, but not horrible.  Look now to the people who packed that box for the thing you ordered online.  Lots of extra space, lots of foam/air-bags/peanuts/bubble-wrap/corn foam. (real thing, look it up)(http://www.starchtech.com/?gclid=CJCWhJiSkq0CFeQCQAodjmK5lQ)
       Why do they use so much packaging?  Here is the root cause.  Because the people we charge with the safety of our packages, whom we pay for their safe transit from one point to another, are so bad at their jobs.  UPS, The Post Office, Fed Ex, and the others are careless to the point of criminality.  I know you think this is a silly over-reaction, but to compare: if package carriers were the police, we would all be required to wear class four body armor just in case one of them accidentally did something to hurt us.  So the next time you want to blame someone for the trash, blame the real culprits.
       You will note that I did not call this a "Holiday Missive"  That is because I do not celebrate "Holiday"  I celebrate Christmas.  So Merry Christmas.  If my wishing you happiness bothers you that is a reflection of your character, not mine.
       In my time I have worked in the North Shore area of Chicago.  Many times I was wished to have a happy Hanukkah.  Also Chanukah.  Depended on if they were Orthodox or not.  I never once was offended.  I never felt they were just putting my face in it either.  The fact that anyone, of any religious affiliation, wished me to have a happy anything, was heartwarming.  For the record, I always wished them one back.  See goodwill is free.  It can be freely given.  In fact, I felt it meant a bit more from those who knew I was not Jewish myself.  
       So forgive me this silly Christian tradition.  If my wishing you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas bothers you, or in any way troubles your belief system, know that I say it not to be a troll; but rather, because I genuinely wish well to my fellow man.  It doesn't happen often.  Enjoy it.

Merry Christmas
Happy New Year

Sam.

P.S. just found a Google Easter egg.  Try googling Hanuka, or Chanuka.  You will see a garland at the top of the page.  At least today I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean and well thought out.